Christine Kane's Revised Version of Fearn & Farnan's Power Writing Strategy
1. Choose two familiar topics for students
2. Teacher writes a word bank for each topic.
3. Students discuss each topic with partner for 1 minute per topic.
4. Students look their partners in the eye and say mantra: “I am a writer. I am a powerful writer. I will write as much as I can, as well as I can, until the time is through!”
5. Student choose one topic and puts their heads down on the desk to think about a title and organization (1 minute)
6. Teacher sets time for power writing event - start small to build self-efficacy (No more than 1 minute)
7. Students write for set time period
8. When timer rings- say aloud: 1 minute to finish up your writing and provide students 1 more minute to complete thoughts
9. Students are given 1 minute to edit with “magic headphones”
10. Students are given 1 final minute to count # of words (silently in their head) and write down the number and circle it at the bottom of the page.